Believe it or not, there are plants out there that can cause harm to your dog – and some can even be fatal. These poisonous plants can be found planted around your neighborhood, at your local park, and they may even be in your own home or backyard The best thing you can do to keep your pup safe is to know what to look for – and which plants to avoid.
Because they are like furry family members, you do what you can to protect your dog, don’t you? Well, the more you learn about these plants, the greater your chance of saving your pet from taking a bite.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is something most people have in their homes. It is great for providing relief for sunburns and also comes with a lot of health benefits, too. For humans, that is. When it comes to dogs, aloe vera can have a different – more negative – impact.
Aloe vera contains anthraquinone glycosides which can have a powerful laxative effect. If they are ingested, the glycosides become metabolized by intestinal bacteria. The result? Increased mucus production and water in the colon.
There are signs of ingestion you can look out for. For instance, if your dog ingests aloe vera, he or she may experience:
- Changes in urine color
Azaleas and rhododendrons are shrubs that produce beautiful, colorful flowers. They can be planted all over, but usually do well under the shade of a tree. These shrubs burst to life during the spring time. While we love to take in the delightful colors and sights of these shrubs, even the smallest dog nibble can lead to a whole bunch of health issues.
Although these plants are not enticing to dogs, there is still a possibility they will munch on them. Knowing what they look like and the danger they bring can help you to steer Fido clear of them. And, of course, you may want to consider not including them in your own landscaping plans.
Serious health problems that dogs can face if a tiny amount of azaleas or rhododendrons are consumed include:
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive drooling
- Digestive issues
- Loss of coordination
- Leg paralysis
Most severely, your dog may experience a weak heart rate since consumption can lead to a coma or death.
Tulips are another beautiful flower – and they are definitely a sign that spring has sprung. . Unfortunately, no matter how much joy their colorful look gives you, you may want to ditch the tulips if you want to keep your pet safe. These flowers are highly toxic to dogs and can pose a serious threat to their health. And while all parts of a tulip are harmful – the toxic alkaloids are extra concentrated in the bulbs. Diggers beware!
If your dog comes in contact with a tulip, here’s what can happen:
- Loss of appetite
- Intense gastrointestinal irritation
- Depression of their central nervous system
- Cardiac abnormalities
Depending on how much is consumed, these symptoms can come on quickly and severely, requiring prompt attention.
- Sago Palm
Sago palms are stunning and elegant in their appearance. It’s no wonder they are such a hot item for those looking to landscape their lawn. Popular in mild climates, many dogs are drawn to these plants. Simply put, it tastes good.
Turning your back for just a moment when your dog is around a sago palm can have deadly consequences. Every single part of this plant is toxic – especially the seeds.
If your dog comes in contact with this plant and decides to have a little taste, you can expect the following symptoms:
- Increased thirst
- Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis
- Liver damage
- Liver failure
There should be no hesitation with this one – you need to contact your dog’s vet immediately.
Butterflies love milkweed. But no matter how sweet it is to watch the fluttering butterflies or look at its neat appearance, milkweed is dangerous for your dog. IYou don’t have to give up having a butterfly garden, but you do have to look for milkweed alternatives to keep your fur friend safe. Again, knowing what it looks like so you can protect your pet when you are out and about is important, too.
Should your dog ingest any part of this plant (that’s right – every single part is toxic), seek veterinary treatment immediately. Symptoms include:
- Profound depression
- Difficulty breathing
- Rapid or weak pulse
- Dilated pupils
- Kidney or liver failure
- Respiratory paralysis
It is important to note that the symptoms will appear mild at first. Sadly, this allows fur pup moms and dads to let their guard down. If treatment is not sought immediately, these minor symptoms turn severe. So, don’t hesitate.
What to Do If the Unthinkable Happens
If you believe your dog has ingested a poisonous or otherwise toxic plant, here’s what you can do.
First, get your dog to safety. Move your dog away from the plant but not before identifying the plant. If you know what it is, great. If not, take a picture. This way you have something to provide the vet if need be.
Pay attention to how your dog is acting. Is your dog alert? Breathing? Behaving normally? If so, you still want to be proactive and give a call to your vet or poison control. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control, for instance, has a 24-hour hotline to call: (888) 426-4435. Or contact your vet to discuss the situation.
Finally, if your pup is not behaving normally, seek veterinary treatment immediately. Don’t try any at-home DIY tricks for saving your dog – including trying to make your dog vomit. There could be more going on under the surface than you realize – and the symptoms can quickly become severe or deadly.
The quicker you can get your dog the treatment he or she needs, the greater chances of a successful recovery.
At Scoop Soldiers, our troops work hard to do what we can to keep your pet safe and protected – such as pet waste removal and sanitizing your yard. We service both residential and pet-friendly commercial clients, including apartment complexes, doggy day-cares, hotels and more.
Leave a Reply